Prescott School was established in 1869 to serve students and families in historic West Oakland.
Ida Louise Jackson, Oakland’s first African-American teacher, taught here starting in 1925 -- 13 years before any other school hired a black teacher.
During 2005-2006, the staff and community of Prescott Elementary School spent the school year in the “incubation” phase of designing and visioning a school that would better serve the academic, social, and cultural needs of the students in the West Oakland community.
The “old” Prescott transformed from a comprehensive school serving 466 students in 2005-06 into P.L.A.C.E. @ PRESCOTT (Preparatory Literary Academy of Cultural Excellence) a new "small school” model of reform.