Student Work Permits
OUSD students have the opportunity to work during high school to earn money and gain valuable experience that will help them after graduation.Working this Summer? Permits are issued by the High School Linked Learning Office, located at 1000 Broadway, Suite 440, 510-879-4118. Follow the 5 steps below.
4 Steps to Getting Your Student Work PermitSTEP 1: Find a JobWhen you have an offer to work from an employer, you will then need to apply for your work permit. Work permits will only be issued before employment begins for non-hazardous occupations and positions.Requirements:
STEP 2: Pick-Up Your FormsYou need to download or pick-up 2 Forms: 1. Work Permit Application and 2. Verification of Grades and Attendance Form from the appropriate school site personnel listed below.DOWNLOAD YOUR FORMS:
- Students must have 2.0 cumulative GPA
- Students with GPA lower than 2.0 may be issued a probationary work permit for 90 days – after the 90 day period, the students’ GPA will be reevaluated to determine whether the Work Permit will be reissued for an additional amount of time.
- Employer's signature
- Parent/guardian signature
- School official's signature.
- Work permits take an average of 5 business days to process
- A separate Work Permit must be issued for each employer. The total number of hours worked for all employers must not exceed the number allowed by law.
PICK YOUR FORMS:
When school is out of session (holidays and Summer Break), the High School Linked Learning Office, located at 1000 Broadway, Suite 440, Oakland, will issue ALL work permits to students. The phone number is: 510-879-4118.
When school is in session, ALL OUSD high school student work permits will be issued directly from the school sites listed below. Staff will ONLY issue work permits to students who reside in Oakland and attend:
STEP 3: Complete Your Work Permit ApplicationComplete the Work Permit Application with parent/guardian signature and attach a copy of your Verification of Grades and Attendance Form, complete with your school official's signatures. Please attach your most current grade report with GPA listed and record of attendance. Print all information legibly and accurately.
- OUSD middle school
- Private School
- Parochial School
- Charter School
STEP 4: Submit Your Work Permit ApplicationReturn your completed Work Permit Application and signed Verification of Grades and Attendance Form to the appropriate school site personnel listed above. Incomplete applications cannot be processed. Up to 5 working days are required to process the work permit.Return Forms to:Linked Learning Office1000 Broadway, Suite 440510-879-4118Summary of Work Permit Types:
- The employer must complete the "Employer" section.
- No fax or copy will be accepted; the application must be original
For more information, please call the Linked Learning Office at (510) 273-2360.
- Regular work permit (green) for students with a 2.0 GPA and good attendance, issued for 270 days maximum
- Regular "probationary" work permit (green) with a letter to parents, for students with a 2.0 GPA and weak attendance or grades, issued for 90 days initially, re-evaluated and re-issued for 3 to 6 months, or revoked.
- Measure Y “waiver permit“ (salmon), issued for 270 days and 90 days, but no longer than 365 days
- Workability work permits (blue) for Special Education students with an IEP