It's an exciting time in Oakland as students and educators are elevating Oakland Unified School District to new levels of success and recognition.
Our students attend Quality Community Schools staffed by dedicated teachers and school leaders who are consistently finding innovative ways to serve the needs of every student while preparing them for success in college, career and community upon graduation from our schools.
4-Year Graduation Rates Going UP!
Graduation Rate Rise 3.7 Percentage Points to 64.6% in 2015 (60.9% '14)
- Coliseum College Prep Academy is the first OUSD district-run school to exceed a 90% cohort graduation rate, at 91.1%.
- CCPA has increased its graduation rate since its first graduating class in 2012:
- 91.1% in 2015
- 84.6% in 2014
- 77.6% in 2013
- 64.2% in 2012
Graduation Rates Increase for All Oakland Students:
- African American male students showed a major 6.9 percentage point increase, from 52.6% in 2014 to 59.7% in 2015. The rate for all African American students increased by 3.3%, from 57.4% in 2014 to 60.7% in 2015.
- Latino students also showed an increase of 1.5 percentage points, from 54.4% in 2014 to 55.9% in 2015.
- English Language Learner students increased by 6.4 percentage points, from 44.5% in 2014 to 50.9% in 2015.
- Students with Disabilities increased by 9.6 percentage points, from 46.6% in 2014 to 56.2% in 2015.
- Foster Youth students increased by a huge 23.7 percentage points, from 34.4% in 2014 to 58.1% in 2015
A-G Completion Rates Improving
District-wide A-G Completion Rates Rise 5.8 percentage points, to 45.6% in 2015 (39.8% '14)
- African American students rose from 28.0% in 2014 to 30.1% in 2015.
- Latino students rose from 41.7% in 2014 to 44.1% in 2015
69.0% A-G Completion for African American Male Students at McClymonds High School
- Nearly three times higher than state rate (24.9%) and Alameda County rate (29.7%) for African American male students. McClymonds had highest A-G completion rate of all OUSD district-run high schools with significant number of African American students.
A-G Completion Rates for Latino Students Above 80%
- Life Academy (88.1%)
- Coliseum College Prep (81.6%)
Fun Fact: OUSD Schools with 2015 Cohort Graduation Rates Exceeding State Rate of 80%:
- 91.1% -- Coliseum College Prep Academy
- 88.7% -- Oakland Technical High School (Oakland Tech)
- 85.3% -- Life Academy
- 82.9% -- MetWest High School
Every Student Thrives!
Students from Oakland Technical High School’s Health Academy visited Kaiser Permanente's Oakland Medical Center for a career exploration job shadow through a team-based clinical immersion.
Thanks to funds collected by Measure J, which voters overwhelmingly passed in 2012 to improve the quality of Oakland schools and facilities, the $1.6 million kitchen is now a source of pride and much improved capacity to provide nutritious meals.
Sandra Brode brings classic art techniques to TK-5th grade students with her own supplies and help from friends.
The Skyline High School Debate team captured the Urban Debate National Championship and Frick Impact Academy Debate Teams competed at the state level.
Their interviews and footage will be featured in an upcoming PBS NewsHour documentary!
Hundreds of OUSD supporters take part and net $128,000 for Oakland schools.
800 students from middle and high schools across Oakland Unified School District came together on Saturday afternoon, April 15 to be recognized for their hard word in and out of the classroom.
Restorative Mentoring is a unique pilot program in which middle school mentors from Alliance Academy visit nearby Reach Academy to model the practice of restorative justice and build community during recess and lunchtime.