OUSD’s CORE BELIEF STATEMENTS
In efforts to work toward our District mission – Oakland Unified School District (OUSD) will build a Full Service Community District focused on high academic achievement while serving the whole child, eliminating inequity, and providing each child with excellent teachers, every day – the OUSD Board of Education identified, through community-wide engagements, the following Core Belief Statements:
- That every student should learn in a positive and safe learning environment.
- In the ability of every student to thrive in school and reach their full potential - and are committed to ensuring that they achieve college, career and community success in the 21st century.
- In celebrating the diversity of our students with respect to race, culture, heritage, exceptional needs, gender and sexual orientation; committing to giving each child what they need; teaching them with high expectations, and supporting them to find joy and success in their education.
- In full service community schools that - in addition to providing high quality education - act as an integral part of the health and wellness of our neighborhoods, offering lifelong learning opportunities and support for our students and community members.
- That students are most successful when all of us - students, families, educators and community members from all backgrounds and neighborhoods - can meaningfully and equitably participate in making shared decisions and improving conditions at the district level, school site or in the community.
- In the fair and transparent management of our resources in order to ensure the success of all current and future students, and are committed to seeking additional resources