Parent Engagement Opportunities
There are many ways for you to be involved in shaping your child's education. These committees are opportunities engage in a 2-way dialogue about the needs of your child and other English Language Learners in OUSD. We invite you to voice concerns, questions, feedback, and suggestions for our ELL programs and service offerings.
Site ELL Subcommittee (SELLS)
The Site ELL Subcommittee (SELLS) will meet at least five times a year to:
- Provide input on the School Plan for Student Achievement (SPSA) and its goals, including expenditures related to ELLs
- Participate in the site-based Language Acceleration Review Committee (LARC)
- Study LCAP and Title III expenditures, and provide feedback on these expenditures to the DELLS.
- Investigate and learn about topics related to best practices in ELL education, including topics covered by the meetings of the DELLS and PSAC that occur every other month
- Download and share with SELLS members the agendas and meeting notes from the DELLs and PSAC meetings
The School Governance Program Manager and Family Engagement Specialists assist the members of the SELLS in convening and setting agendas. The site administrator and SSC may also collaborate.
LCAP ELL Subcommittees (DELLS):
To provide feedback and recommendations, get involved with the LCAP. The District English Language Learner Subcommittee (DELLS) is composed of 13 members elected in the spring by ELL parent representatives from School Site Councils (SSCs) and Site ELL Subcommittees (SELLS) from schools in each of Oakland’s electoral districts. There are 7 electoral districts, with two ELL parent representatives from 6 of these districts, and 1 from the remaining 1
The DELLS will meet at least once every other month during the school year to:
- Study and provide feedback to the PSAC on LCAP and Title III expenditures and best practices for ELL education
- Investigate and learn about topics related to best practices in ELL education, including topics covered by the bi-monthly meetings of the PSAC
- Collect the concerns and feedback of the Site ELL Subcommittees (SELLS) and represent them to the PSAC
- Keep the Site ELL Subcommittees (SELLS) informed of ELL-related issues and opportunities in order to positively impact ELL education and ELL-related expenditures in OUSD
The LCAP Engagement Specialist supports the convening and agenda setting of the DELLS.
The District-level Parent and Student Advisory Committee (PSAC):
To provide feedback and recommendations, get involved with the PSAC. The Parent and Student Advisory Committee (PSAC) consists of 28 parent representatives and 9 student representatives. Members are elected from the city of Oakland’s 7 electoral districts. This body meets quarterly, and as needed to:
- Review and provide feedback on District’s implementation of LCAP services and expenditures
- Review and provide feedback on the District’s annual LCAP update
- Provide recommendations to staff on the final LCAP draft prior to School Board Adoption
The LCAP Engagement Specialist supports the convening and agenda setting of the PSAC.
Additional ways to get involved: