Oakland’s youth suffer disproportionately from a number of health conditions, including asthma, diabetes, depression, anxiety, trauma, sexually transmitted infections, and others. SBHCs treat and help manage these conditions so students can remain on campus and return to class ready to learn.
In addition, SBHC staff partner with other school staff to work with students of concern, participate in Coordination of Services Teams, Student Support Teams, and the development of IEPs, and develop caring relationships with students through the services they provide and the youth development programs they offer. Overall, SBHCs aim to:
- Remove barriers to learning for individual students and the broader school communities.
- Provide access to important medical, mental health and health education services for youth and their families.
- Connect youth and their families to community resources (e.g., health insurance enrollment, referrals).
- Help cultivate young leaders through youth development programs.
- Help young people and families learn to navigate our confusing health care system.
Our Programs & Services
The specific programs and services available at our SBHCs differ by site. Below is a general listing of services provided:
- Mental health counseling and case management
- Physical exams/sports physicals
- Diagnosis and treatment of medical conditions
- STD screening and treatment
- Health education related to nutrition/physical fitness, sexual health, etc.
- Youth development programs including peer health education, student research teams and youth advisory boards
- Professional development for school staff
- Outreach to youth and their families
- Community-wide health promotion events and activities
- Referrals to health and social service providers on- and off-site
- Dental screening and treatment
- Health insurance enrollment
- Vision screening, referrals and treatment
If a student requires services that are not available at the school-based health center, staff will work with the school and community agencies to locate and refer that student to a partner agency that can provide help.
Oakland Community Schools: Where all students graduate college, career, and community ready.
Home | Nurses | Behavioral Health | Health & Wellness | Attendance | SEL | Afterschool | Summer | Partnerships | Family Engagement
Health & Wellness Programs: Developing the social, emotional, and physical health of students.