2013-2014 Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, and Questioning
(LGBTQ) Tool Kit
The Oakland Unified School District LGBTQ Tool Kit is a resource for teachers, staff and district employees to support on-going efforts to create more welcoming and safer schools.
Click on the headings listed below to access that section of the OUSD LGBTQ Tool Kit.
1. Policies [Policies]a. OUSD Policiesb. State Assembly Bills2. Creating Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Questioning Inclusive Schools [Inclusive Schools]a. Things to Rememberb. What Every Teacher Should Knowc. Addressing Anti-Gay Slursd. Tips to Make your Classroom LGBTQ Inclusivee. Supporting a Student Who Comes Out to Youf. Frequently Asked Questions
3. Gay-Straight Alliance Information [GSA]a. Gay-Straight Alliance 101b. Tips to Start a GSA (a student guide)c. How to be an Awesome Advisord. Promoting Your GSA’s Goals and Mission (a student guide)e. Strategies to Build Diverse/Multicultural GSAs
4. Transgender and Gender Variant Information [Transgender]a. Transgender 101b. Implementing CA Law Prohibiting Gender-Based Discriminationc. Checklist to Support Transgender or Gender Variant Studentd. Frequently Asked Questions Regarding Gender Diversitye. Supporting a Transgender Child (a guide for families and caring adults)f. Transgender Resources: Book List and Local Organizations
5. Classroom Resources: Activities, Lessons & Vocabulary [Lessons & Vocab.]a. Social Emotional Learning Standardsb. High & Middle School Classroom Resources (links to lessons & activities)c. Elementary Classroom Resources (links to lessons & activities)d. LGBTQ Themed Book Liste. Teaching LGBTQ Vocabularyf. Activities to Introduce New Vocabularyg. Vocabulary List
6. Creating Safer Schools – Anti-Bullying Information [Anti-Bullying]a. Data on School Safetyb. OUSD Strategies to Respond to and Prevent Bullyingc. Prevention, Intervention and Protection (PIP) School Strategiesc. The Roles of Bullying (Perpetrator, Target, Bystander)d. The Bystander’s Role in Reducing Bullying
7. Oakland Unified School District and Community Resources [Resources]a. Crisis Linesb. LGBTQ Bay Area Community Resourcesc. LGBTQ Online Resourcesd. Safety Resources Available on School Sitese. OUSD Directory of School Safety Programs