Free Summer Meals for Kids
The Nutrition Services Department is operating 24 pick-up locations throughout the city where “Grab and Go” meals will be available for any Oakland child aged 18 and under.
- Pick up days are Mondays and Thursdays from 8am until 12pm
- This program will run from June 1, 2020 through July 21, 2020
- Social Distancing measures are in effect.
- Face coverings are required.
- Kids do not need to be present to pick up food.
- Multiple days worth of food can be picked up at once.
The Meal Pick Up Locations Are:
- Emerson Elementary
- Hoover Elementary
- Sankofa Elementary
- West Oakland Middle School
- Allendale Elementary
- Bella Vista Elementary
- Cleveland Elementary
- Garfield Elementary
- La Escuelita
- Manzanita SEED/Manzanita Community
- Oakland High School
- Bret Harte Middle School
- Castlemont High School
- Coliseum College Preparatory Academy
- East Oakland PRIDE
- Elmhurst United Middle School
- Esperanza/Korematsu Elementary
- Fremont High School
- Frick Impact Academy
- Horace Mann Elementary
- Life Academy/United for Success
- Madison Park Upper
- Melrose Leadership Academy
- New Highland/Rise Academy
Download a flyer and list/map of sites
Volunteer to Distribute Meals
OUSD is looking for additional volunteers to support distribution of food and supplies to families in need during the current shelter-in-place resulting from the COVID-19 pandemic. Food and supply distributions are taking place at OUSD school sites throughout Oakland.
We are currently seeking volunteers who are employees of OUSD, employees of an OUSD-approved partner (for example, after-school program staff), existing OUSD volunteers (such as through Ed Fund), and other community members. Note that community member volunteers will need to be cleared through the Megan's Law registered sex offender database.
In order to volunteer, you must be (1) healthy (meaning that you have no underlying health conditions and no symptoms for cold or flu, including cough or fever over 100 degrees); (2) under the age of 65; (3) to your knowledge, have not had contact with COVID-19-positive individuals in the past 2 weeks; and (4) be willing and able to interact with students and families. We are also looking for volunteers who can commit to our sites on a regular basis. Please be aware that safety and social-distancing protocols will be implemented (and required) at the school sites.
Please use this form to let us know your availability to support with distribution. We are working to be as responsive as possible but our response may be delayed. As a follow up, you may receive a request from the "Sign Up Genius" App to ask you to sign up for sites/timeslots. Thank you for your patience and interest in supporting Oakland families.