October 6, 2021
September 23, 2021
OUSD Board of Education Passes Vaccine Requirement for Students 12 Years Old and Up
September 16, 2021
"If you are eligible, I urge you to get vaccinated"
September 12, 2021
Thriving Students & COVID Updates
September 2, 2021
Community Updates about COVID: Protocols, Testing and Vaccination
August 26, 2021
Recent Issues with COVID Testing
We write today to provide important information about: 1) COVID testing delays, 2) reports of mis-read tests, and 3) coming changes to our quarantine protocols at the high school level.
August 20, 2021
Update on COVID Cases, Testing, Prevention Strategies, FAQ, Etc
As we work together during the second week of full in-person instruction across OUSD schools, we want to take a moment to acknowledge the difficulty of this time and the very real concerns that many families and staff have about COVID-19. We also want to provide further context of the situation on the ground, share more information about how we are keeping our campuses safe, and remind everyone of important health practices for all of us. As always, thank you for your partnership and grace in supporting our students.
August 10, 2021
COVID Protocols Update:
- Effective Monday, August 16, everyone will be required to wear a mask outdoors on our campuses (currently, masks are required only indoors and recommended outdoors)
- Starting Tuesday, September 7 (the day after Labor Day), all OUSD staff (including remote workers), contractors, and volunteers will be required to be fully vaccinated, or alternatively, get a COVID test at least once a week. Anyone who is fully vaccinated will not need to test weekly, once their vaccination status has been verified. OUSD provides multiple testing options, including at-home test kits as well as 10 testing locations that offer both rapid antigen and PCR tests. There are also many community-based testing locations available.
Read the full message for further details.
August 6, 2021
Dear Oakland Community,
Welcome to the 2021-2022 school year! We are so excited to have all of our students, staff, and families coming back together for another year of learning and growth, and a return to full in-person instruction at all of our schools across the District.
Safety and following our state public health guidelines are more important than ever this year.
Safety is at the top of our minds as we return to full in-person learning around the District for the first time in well over a year. I know the stress that comes with being a parent in these uncertain times. I deeply appreciate all the hard work that our compassionate, brilliant, and brave staff members are doing to ensure that Oakland’s children receive a quality education, are cared for, and have easy access to food and support services at their schools.
August 2, 2021
Dear OUSD Students and Families,On July 1, 2021, Governor Gavin Newsom signed Assembly Bill (AB) 104, which provides significant opportunities for all students, but particularly for high school students, in regards to to the following areas:
- High School Student Grade Changes to Credit/No Credit*: High school students may request that a letter grade from the 2020-2021 school year be changed to a Credit or No Credit* grade;
- Graduation Requirements: Certain 2020-2021 high school juniors and seniors are allowed to graduate without meeting all local graduation requirements; and schools are required to provide additional supports towards graduation including a fifth year of high school, credit recovery, or some other opportunity to complete State graduation requirements; and
- K-11 Retention: Provides parents of “eligible pupils” a supplemental review process to consider retention at the 2020-2021 grade level, if desired.