Counseling at Bret Harte
Bret Harte's counselors support academic planning, scheduling, goal setting and record keeping for all students, as well as coordination of placement, referrals to programs and agencies, and crisis prevention and intervention.
Counselors also work with eighth-graders to help connect their careers goals to the educational steps they need to take right now, and shepherd them through the high school selection process.
The counselors at Bret Harte believe that …
• All students have dignity and worth.
• All students can be successful learners.
• All students should have the opportunity to realize their unique potential academically, socially, and emotionally.
• All students are entitled to equal access to education.
• All students are entitled to a quality education that will enable them to become contributing members of society.
• The counselors’ primary purpose is to advocate for the student.
• The goal of our counseling program is to foster student accountability, improve academic performance, and engage students in their emotional and social growth and career exploration.
• The counseling program is available to all students, as well as their parents or guardians.
• Parents, guardians, teachers, administrators, support specialists, and community providers are vital assets to a comprehensive counseling program.
• Consultation, collaboration, counseling, and classroom guidance are all essential components of a successful counseling program.
• The school counseling program should adhere to the Standards for School Counseling Programs in California Public Schools and to the American School Counselor Association’s Code of Ethics and Standards of Practice.
• The counseling program is continuously improved through systematic review and evaluation of data in an effort to meet the ever-changing needs of the school’s diverse student population.
All Bret Harte students receive the benefits of a school counseling program that is developmental in nature, preventative in design, and comprehensive in scope. As an integral part of the total educational program, our school counselors promote and ensure access to services that challenge and support each student to reach his/her highest potential.
The counselors' mission is to provide a comprehensive developmental program that addresses the social, emotional, academic, and career needs and aspirations of each student. Counseling services are provided through a classroom curriculum, as well as through individual and group counseling methods based on the Response to Intervention (RTI) model of support. In partnership with educators, parents, guardians, and the community, our school counselors work to prepare our diverse student population to be lifelong learners in an ever-changing world.