Greetings Westlake Families!
This is Mr. Ferrer, Principal of Westlake Middle School with your weekly parent update for next week. If you miss any part of this message please visit our website.
I want to thank everyone who attended our School Site Council meeting last night, we were able to establish officers for the year. Our next School Site Council meeting is scheduled for October 20th.
- Today was Picture Day, all scholars present had their picture taken. If you didn’t have a chance to order pictures and would like to do so, please contact our Assistant Principal, Ms. Taylor.
- Today we also provided scholars a copy of their grade check of all their classes, please take a moment to review this with them. Research shows that a parent active in monitoring their scholars academic progress improves their success. Our online grading system ABI is the best way to monitor your scholar’s progress. If you have not yet signed up for an account please contact our School Counselor, Ms. Ruffin.
- We understand getting your scholar to school in the morning can be challenging due to various reasons. We are asking for your support in getting your scholar to school on time each day. The largest amount of tardies to class by far are for 1st period, so any support by parents would be appreciated. Our first bell rings at 8:25 and classes start at 8:30.
- Westlake is looking for athletic coaches to coach the following sports within the Oakland Athletic League- flag football, cross country, girl’s volleyball, basketball, soccer, and track & field. If you are interested in being a coach for any of these sports please contact our After-School Program Director Ms. Hall.
- We are also in need of parent volunteers to help inside our halls and classrooms. Parent presence makes a huge difference in the climate of our school. Please also contact Ms. Hall if you can spend an hour or so to volunteer on campus.
- September 28th- Williams Textbook Visit
- October 1st- Beautification Day
- October 7th- Short Day Schedule
- October 13th- Parents of Westlake Meeting
- October 14th- No School, Teacher Work Day
- October 20th- School Site Council Meeting
That’s all for next week. Please remember to Take Care of Yourself, Take Care of One Another, and Take Care of Westlake!