Student Work Permit Application Procedures

As an OUSD student, you have the opportunity to work during high school. You can earn money and gain valuable experience that will help you after graduation, too. Here is how you obtain a work permit.
Download a Work Permit FAQ here!

Find a job. When you have an offer to work from an employer, you will then need to apply for your work permit. Work permits will only be issued before employment begins for non-hazardous occupations and positions. You must have at least a 2.0 cumulative GPA to apply for a work permit. You will need to have your employer's signature, your parent/guardian signature, and a school official's signature.

Pick up a Work Permit Application and a Verification of Grades and Attendance Form from the appropriate school site personnel listed below. You can also download all the necessary forms at the bottom of this page.
Info grid  
Complete the Work Permit Application with parent/guardian signature and attach a copy of your Verification of Grades and Attendance Form, complete with your school official's signatures. Please attach your most current grade report with GPA listed and record of attendance. Print all information legibly and accurately.
  • The employer must complete the "Employer" section.
  • No fax or copy will be accepted; the application must be original.
Return your completed Work Permit Application and signed Verification of Grades and Attendance Form to the appropriate school site personnel listed above. Incomplete applications cannot be processed. Up to five working days are required to process the work permit.

Work permits are valid only for the dates indicated and for the employer indicated on your work permit. Each time you change employers you must request a new work permit.
  • When school is in session ALL OUSD high school student work permits will be issued directly from the school sites listed.
  • When OUSD schools are out of session (holidays and Summer Break) the Linked Learning Office, located at McClymonds High School, 2607 Myrtle Street, Room #104, Oakland, will issue ALL work permits to students. The phone number is: (510) 273-2360.
  • When school is in session, the Linked Learning Office, located at McClymonds High School, 2607 Myrtle Street, Oakland, will ONLY issue work permits to students who reside in Oakland and attend:
  1. a Private School
  2. a Parochial School
  3. a Charter School
  4. an OUSD middle school
    Summary of Work Permit Types
  • Regular work permit (green) for students with a 2.0 GPA and good attendance, issued for 270 days maximum
  • Regular "probationary" work permit (green) with a letter to parents, for students with a 2.0 GPA and weak attendance or grades, issued for 90 days initially, re-evaluated and re-issued for 3 to 6 months, or revoked.
  • Measure Y “waiver permit“ (salmon), issued for 270 days and 90 days, but no longer than 365 days
  • Workability work permits (blue) for Special Education students with an IEP
For more information, please call the Linked Learning Office at (510) 273-2360.

Work Permit Application Materials - Please download all three forms
Download Work Permit Info Sheet
Download Work Permit Application
Download GPA Verification Form
Last Modified on August 3, 2015