Be Responsible, be Respectful, be Your Best, be Safe, and be Kind.
December 5, 2016
Dear Parents, Teachers, Staff, and Community Members,
You are invited to attend the Emergency School Site Council (SSC) (Budget Approvals) Meeting in our library at 9:00 a.m., Thursday, December 8, 2016. This council offers an excellent opportunity for parents, community members and site personnel to work together and plan for student achievement.
Item Description Action
1. Welcome/Call to Order/Roll Call Ms. Alexandre Informational
2. Budget Approvals Ms. Seyer-Ochi Voting Item
3. Adjournment Ms. Alexandre Voting Item
Next SSC Meeting: December 16, 2016 at 9:00 a.m.
for the translated flier and agenda.
December 2, 2016
We will distribute report cards next week. All families are encouraged to pick up their child’s report card and their ID cards on one of the days and times detailed below. Unless your classroom teacher notifies you, all report cards will be distributed in the Library. We have also planned some special activities for Family Engagement Week and hope you will join us for any or all of these events.
Report Card Distribution Schedule
Grades 4 and 5 Monday, 12/5 8:00-9:00 & 2:30-3:30, Library
Grades 2, 3, and SDC Tuesday 12/6 8:00-9:00 & 2:30-3:30, Library
Grades TK/K and 1 Wednesday, 12/7 8:00-9:00 & 12:30-1:30, Library
Family Engagement Events
December 5, 6, and 7 Technology workshop, 8:00-9:00, Family Resource Center (Portable 35)
Monday, 12/5 Middle School Options and Enrollment Information, 8:00-9:00, Library
Tuesday, 12/6 Drop-in Art Studio, 3:30-4:30, Art Room (Portable 31)
Oakland Parks & Recreation
Girls' Sports Basketball Clinic
Want to practice and learn basketball fundamentals?
Need the skills to be a Junior Warrior?
Eight Week Session for only $30.
for the flier and Registration Form
Site English Language Learner Subcommittee (SELLS) Monthly Meeting
for the HTML version.
Tech and Learning Survey
Franklin School needs input from Parents, Students, and Teachers regarding our use of technology at Franklin School.
Please complete the survey to help guide us in this matter.
(Teachers about 12 minutes and Parents about 5 minutes)
(Students about 15 minutes)
San Francisco Boys Chorus
East Bay Auditions
January 7, 2017
East Bay Rehearsal and Audition Location:
The Cathedral of Christ the Light: 2121 Harrison Street, Oakland
for more information.
Creating Confident Kids Through Dance!
December 19-30, 2016
Looking for a fun place for your child's Winter Break? Let them dance and play at the East Bay Dance Center! Affordable pricing starting from $45/day. Classes in jazz, ballet, tap and hip-hop, tumbling, African dance, drama, and art. Games, performances and fun!
December 19-30, 2016. No camp on December 26.
Please click here
to download the flier for more details.
December 14, 2016 at 3:00 p.m.
Franklin Elementary Auditorium
915 Foothill Blvd.
Oakland, CA 94606
Please join us for this exciting first concert of the MUSE Orchestra Season. Family, Friends, Franklin Community, and Music Enthusiasts are invited. Guest Conductor: Michael Morgan, Music Director of the Oakland Symphony,
Instrumental students from 12 elementary and middle schools throughout Oakland unite to make music in this free after-school program which is sponsored by Oakland Symphony
and hosted by Franklin Elementary
and Oakland Unified School District Instrumental Music
Click here to view pictures from the Muse Winter Concert, December 2015!
Coming soon, pictures from the Muse Winder Concert, December 2016!!
Bring the Internet home for just $9.95 a month
If your child receives free or reduced price school lunches,
you may qualify for Internet Essentials from Comcast.
What is the School Performance Framework?
The School Performance Framework (SPF) is like a report card for your school. It is a comprehensive system to help schools focus on strengths and areas for targeted improvement.
The SPF guides schools and the community in setting priorities for improvement with specific groups of students. The report uses color-coded tiers based on the school’s levels of performance in the categories. The SPF guides schools and the community with improvement—aligned to the Local Control Accountability Plan (LCAP). The SPF is used by the district to determine specific interventions and support and define the amount of autonomy school receive to make decisions.
Reports will be released annually for each OUSD school in the fall beginning in 2016. Oakland charter schools will receive their own SPF ratings in future releases.
to directly reach Franklin's Summary School Performance Framework (SPF).
Families: Learn about OUSD Schools
before Enrollment begins Dec. 5
OAKLAND, CA — Oakland Unified School District (OUSD) announces three new resources under the Explore Your Options campaign to improve the way families learn about and enroll in Oakland public schools. With enrollment season for the 2017-18 school year opening on Dec. 5, Explore Your Options is well timed to provide families the information they need both online and in-person to enroll in an OUSD school.
- Oakland School Finder - an interactive, online tool that allows families to find detailed information about the 86 OUSD schools and 42 public charter schools in Oakland. Through the Oakland School Finder, families can search for and compare schools based on location, academic achievement, before and after-school offerings and the availability of programs such as STEM, bilingual education, arts, music and more.
- OUSD will also host seven Enrollment Options Fairs across the district for students and their families to meet with school representatives in person and learn more about school offerings.
Explore Your Options at Upcoming Enrollment Options Fairs!
- All Oakland public schools will be present
- Child care and translation services will be provided, please RSVP
- School Booths: Time to speak with principals, teachers and families
- Enrollment Booth: For support with the enrollment process
- School Slam (MS & HS Fairs ): Hear each school’s 2-minute story
RSVP: No confirmation required to attend, but please RSVP to let us know if you will need a translator or child care: http://tinyurl.com/optionsfairs
Free Computer for Attending an Option Fair
- Each family that participates in the fair will receive a refurbished Windows 7 desktop computer.
- Comes with preinstalled software & a complimentary digital literacy introduction
- If your family currently doesn’t have Internet at home, join to receive $10/month Internet (no credit check, no contract, no installation fee Cal Internet Essentials before the event, to register, call 1-855-339-6944.
Here is a great opportunity for any Oakland students interested in learning and playing flag football this Winter. Please share with families, schools, youth organizations, and networks.
• Next Level Flag Football (in partnership with Laney College and Coach John Beam) is offering this program to Oakland youth for FREE!
• Who: Oakland students from kindergarten to 8th grade.
• When: Saturdays, starting January 7 thru March 5, 2017 at Laney College.
• 2 hours each Saturday, with practice and a game.
• Every player receives a numbered jersey with their name on it.
• This program costs $250 per participant but is free for Oakland students.
• Kids do not have to be on a team. Teams will be formed at the program and will have a student athlete as a coach.
• Parents can register their children online at www.nextlevelflag.com
• More information for Oakland here: http://www.nextlevelflag.com/Default.aspx?tabid=90918
Click here for the Next Level Flag Football flyer!
Oakland Technology Exchange (OTX) West offers:
Franklin School Photo Albums!
Check back for more photo albums!!