April 14th, 2017
Greetings Westlake Families!
This is Mr. Ferrer, Principal of Westlake Middle School with your weekly parent update.
- Next week we start mandatory state testing. State testing is key to Westlake’s success because the data from the testing helps inform decisions we need to make. Please make sure your scholars are on time to school, have a healthy breakfast, and encourage them to do well on the tests.
- Reminder next Friday, April 21st we will be on a Short Day schedule.
- Starting on May 1st scholars will be served breakfast in their 2nd period classroom for the remainder of the year. Next year, breakfast will be served in 1st period classrooms. This will ensure all of our scholars have access to a healthy breakfast each day.
- Thank you to the parents who attended our first Parent University meeting last night focused on how to start saving for college. A special thank you to Ms. Rashonda for providing childcare, Sparkpoint Oakland, Operation Hope, High Expectations, and Eagle Village for implementing this program. The next Parent University meeting is Thursday at 6:00 in the Library.
- Attention 6th grade parents, we have a new 6th grade Math & Science teacher, Mr. Lin who will start next week. Please get to know him as he reaches out to you.
- Attention 8th grade parents, we have started our High School Readiness intervention programs and we have mailed out notifications to you. Just a reminder that those scholars who are not meeting promotion requirements are required to attend an intervention program otherwise they will not be able to participate in promotion activities, up to and including the promotion ceremony. Please contact Mr. Moses if you have any questions.
- Also 8th grade parents, we have calculated the 8th grade expenses for promotion activities. We anticipate the cost to attend the 8th grade field trip to Great America including transportation and promotion gowns to be $70. Please start saving for this expense and if you need support please contact Ms. Taylor.
- Thursday, April 20th- 6PM Parent University meeting
- Friday, April 21st- Short Day schedule
- Tuesday, April 25th- School Site Council meeting
- Friday, April 28th- Music Fundraiser at Geoffrey’s Inner Circle
That’s all for now- “Stay Fly & SOAR!” Please remember to Take Care of Yourself, Take Care of One Another, and Take Care of Westlake!